Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happo-giri

Happy Valentine's Day. I hope that everyone that reads this is spending time enjoying the company of those you love.

This last Saturday Sensei taught us Happo-giri, The eight directions cut.

In the practice of Aikidō, happo-giri (or happo-no-giri) is an exercise performed with the bokken, cutting in eight directions. Each cut is a simple strike from the top of the head straight down the centre line, with the bokken ending parallel to the floor at roughly the same height as the lower abdomen. The order of the strikes is north, south, east, west, southeast, northwest, southwest, northeast, finally returning - without performing a ninth cut - to the original position (north).

The main purpose of happo-giri is to teach how to control one's surroundings while maintaining proper stance or kamae, by moving around one's centre.

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone! Its Triston! Grandpa its been forever and man i miss all of you guys! lets see well as you guys know im married now and have a beautiful son named Noah who is a handful! Ive been workin as a computer forensic investigator, finishing up my degree and finally everything is finishing up! I miss grappling soo much! True story :
    I was looking for a place to train and get in shape and i came across a mixed martial arts dojo here in spokane. I went to the instructor and asked if they taught bjj and what kind(or kinds) the teacher looked at me with a bit of a cockyness and said " The GOOD kind"...ok i thought, "well can i spar with one of your students?" I explained that i had some experience with bjj and boxing and so the teacher set me up with one of the instructors to spar with....now i didnt know what to expect....this was a MMA dojo and i hadnt sparred since i was training with you guys (over 4 years!) as we tangled everything seemed to come back as if i was training with you guys yesterday...the instructor was very rough...making it easy to find his balance and within a minute i hade him on his back with a simple twist of his shoulders....and then i gently placed my forearm against his adams apple...well this instructor obviously wasnt trained well in bjj because he panicked and placed his arms up to his throat to move my arm...giving me a perfect armbar and finishing him off...i was exhilirated that i had still retained the knowledge taught by grandpa and yohan..they asked me of course where i learned my bjj and i told them from my grandfather mits yamashita and politely exited the dojo. Grandpa, spokane is in desperate need of a good dojo! ive been to several and they are awful...ill continue my hunt and let you guys know what i find! anyways i hope everything is going well... let me know what is happening! my email is tycmxc@gmail.com and my phone is 509-944-0979. Id love to hear from all of you!

    ReplyDelete